Our Texas Home

Our Texas Home
Our home here in North Texas during Christmas 2009.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Work from home to save the world!

Working from the house again. Attended a virtual training session, some one-on-ones and a few conference calls. Not a bad day's worth of work. It seems I am more productive. The only drawback is our VPN is sloooooow when accessing documents on the network.

I talked to TN about relocating again yesterday during my one-on-one. He still said nothing. He is set to discuss it with GP today. It would be great to do it remotely but I can see the company's point of view on not wanting to pay me extra. I am working on some scenarios for shuffling teams that will alow for least impact if I move and they fire me. I know it probably isn't my place, but it's how I process things.

Sometimes I wonder how much money in hourly wages is lost with these huge conference calls. I think we had over 100 managment people on the conference call earlier. It was an hour long... average for Managers has to be about $35 an hour. That's a good piece of money to waste every day.

Almost 1:00 PM and I have't stopped for lunch. That is one huge drawback of working from the house. I get mired in calls and emails and forget to get up and eat, use the bathroom, interact with the world....

If everybody worked from home would it save the environment due to the drop in fuel consumption? What would that do to the price of gasoline and in turn, oil? Let's make it a national initiative to work from home! I bet a grub worm could get elected with that as their platform. Think about it, parents see their children more, environmentalists see a reduction in carbon emmissions, world oil markets plummet, lower oil consumption creates more stable Middle East! With one small suggestion, I just saved the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment